Monday, January 14, 2013

Defending Jacob

Nothing witty here today. It's Monday and I'm not awake enough for that. Instead I shall review an awesome book because it's awesome and I feel like I should. So there.



I finished this book a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten to talk about it yet because...well, I don't really know why. I got this through a secret Santa exchange at work and I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end.

Goodreads' summary:

 Andy Barber has been an assistant district attorney in his suburban Massachusetts county for more than twenty years. He is respected in his community, tenacious in the courtroom, and happy at home with his wife, Laurie, and son, Jacob. But when a shocking crime shatters their New England town, Andy is blindsided by what happens next: His fourteen-year-old son is charged with the murder of a fellow student.

Every parental instinct Andy has rallies to protect his boy. Jacob insists that he is innocent, and Andy believes him. Andy must. He’s his father. But as damning facts and shocking revelations surface, as a marriage threatens to crumble and the trial intensifies, as the crisis reveals how little a father knows about his son, Andy will face a trial of his own—between loyalty and justice, between truth and allegation, between a past he’s tried to bury and a future he cannot conceive.

I love mystery/crime thrillers and this was no exception. There were a few things that were a bit predictable, (then again I have a tendency to try to solve the mystery before the author gets to it) but the ending actually threw me for a bit of a loop which doesn't happen often.

I loved the in depth descriptions and accuracy that Landay goes into with the court proceedings and other legal aspects leading up to and surrounding the trial. I work in the legal field so this was refreshing to me. Throughout the book I kept wondering how much research and how many interviews he had to do for it to be so accurate. When I finished the book I read about Landay and it turns out that he went to law school and was and ADA (assistant district attorney) before he turned to writing.

Welp, that would explain it.

It keeps a great pace throughout and Landay uses just the right amount of foreshadowing to keep you wanting more. 

If you enjoy mystery novels, or crime/legal novels, this is a good one to read for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment