Friday, January 4, 2013

Running? You mean walking right?


As part of my 13 in 2013, I found that Mommy Run Fast is hosting 6 virtual races in a 5 by the 5th series which you can read more about by clicking on this nifty picture


Obviously I signed up for it and plan on completing all 6 months in addition to some other things I have planned, but I'll get to that in a minute.

Andrea at From Floria to North Dakota blogged about some other virtual races where I found FUNd Run 4 Bling. They have monthly virtual races that even come with medals and bibs. What, what! They also have a 13 in 2013 thing going with a special medal for it too. but 10 of the 13 have to be FUNd races. They also have a Birthday run with a medal just for running on your birthday. Nifty huh.

Katie at Runs for Cookies is also hosting a virtual 5K in honor of her 31st birthday. You can read more about it here.

The 13 in 2013 Facebook group also has an extensive list of virtual runs.

I see a lot more than 13 runs in my future. These all just look like too much fun.

Oh, and my best friend and I are registered for the Neon Splash Dash which looks like a whole hell of a lot of fun. You should check it out! They have multiple locations.

NOW....onto last night's run. Back to that 5 by the 5th thing....yup I figured, well it's Thursday and I am supposed to run* on Thursdays anyways...and it's before the 5th...lets get this out of the way.
    *by "run" I mean mostly walk with some jogging thrown in.

It SUCKED. It was COLD and windy as hell. I wanted to stop so many times. I haven't really ran/walked/jogged in months. Since I hurt myself actually. When was that? October...November? Not sure. Regardless, it's been too damn long. My calf started to hurt, I was worried that I might re injure it so I made myself slow down.

I thought about saying "fuck it" and just doing it today instead. But it's supposed to sleet here tonight. Welp, there went that idea. My inner monologue went something like this

Gah, legs hurt. 
Too bad, just do it
But I don't want to- I can do it tomorrow
Noooo....it's going to be even colder and possibly icy. You'll kill yourself
Damnit. Keep walking.
~~Music~~
Fuck!! How much farther do I have to go.
Could I just pretend that I walked it all? 
No! Honor system and shit. Morals, blah blah blah...all that crap mom engrained in you.
Well, I walk .6 miles to and from the bus every day...can I just add that in and only walk the remaining 1.9
Hmmmmm, maybe that could work. I can just tack on the 15 minutes it takes me to make that treck...
~~Music~~
At 1.73 miles
Damnit, I'm back at my house and still have further to go.
I'll walk to the end of the street and back and call it quits.
End of the street put me at about 1.92
I guess I could take this curvy street around through the neighborhood instead of going straight back. 
Yeah..I think I'll do that.
~~Music~~
Look down and see that I'm at 2.75 miles
Holy wow. I'm almost done
Well, I'll just walk back to the house and see where I'm at by then
Well fuck, I'm back at the house and still have a 1/4 mile to go. To the end of the street and back it is!
FUCK! Am I home yet?
Almost to my driveway....01 miles left. Are you fucking kidding me. 
I bet walking up my driveway will cover that
It did.

I finished that damn 5k even though I didn't want to. It took me 56 minutes and 57 seconds to do it. I ran about 3 tenths of a mile throughout the whole damn thing. But I fucking did it.

The way I see it is, if I can walk that bitch, I can run it. I just need to work on running more and walking less. If nothing else it served as a good gauge to work from. If I can run even one tenth more every time I go out, it's progress and I'm happy. But I've decided that I'm not going to walk/run/jog less than that damn 3.1 miles every single time I go out. The only way I'll stop sooner is if I hurt myself. (which if you've met me, you know it's a very real possibility)

But YAY! I got my first 5k of the year in. Go me!

And yes...I really do have internal debates with myself.

1 comment:

  1. Those runs when you don't want to finish are definitely the most rewarding afterwards. Way to push through!

    ReplyDelete