October is most known for Halloween and Breast Cancer Awareness. However, something that a lot of people do not realize is that October is also National Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
I love numbers and statistics, so we will start off with those.
- 25% of women (yes, that's one in four) have experienced domestic violence
- Every 9 seconds (in the US) a woman is assaulted or beaten
- 85% of those victims are women, the other 15% are men
- Women between the ages of 20-24 are at the greatest risk
- Separated or divorced individuals are at a higher risk as well
- Men who as children witnessed their parents’ domestic violence were twice as likely to abuse their own wives than sons of nonviolent parents.
- Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women
- 74% of American's personally know someone that has been the victim of domestic violence
- 50% of men that assault their wives, also assault their children
- Everyday in the US, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends.
If you're a victim, please, please seek help. I didn't and I wish I would have. You are NOT alone. You do NOT deserve this. And NONE of it is your fault. Each of the pictures I've posted is a link to different hotlines and help programs. Please seek help. You deserve it.