Tuesday, October 30, 2012

What October Means to Me

Alright, we're going to get serious today. I am going to start this post off with a possible trigger warning.

October is most known for Halloween and Breast Cancer Awareness. However, something that a lot of people do not realize is that October is also National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. 



I love numbers and statistics, so we will start off with those.

  • 25% of women (yes, that's one in four) have experienced domestic violence
  • Every 9 seconds (in the US) a woman is assaulted or beaten
  • 85% of those victims are women, the other 15% are men
  • Women between the ages of 20-24 are at the greatest risk
  • Separated or divorced individuals are at a higher risk as well
  • Men who as children witnessed their parents’ domestic violence were twice as likely to abuse their own wives than sons of nonviolent parents.
  • Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women
  • 74% of American's personally know someone that has been the victim of domestic violence
  • 50% of men that assault their wives, also assault their children
  • Everyday in the US, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends.
I was even surprised by some of these numbers.



If you're a victim, please, please seek help. I didn't and I wish I would have. You are NOT alone. You do NOT deserve this. And NONE of it is your fault. Each of the pictures I've posted is a link to different hotlines and help programs. Please seek help. You deserve it.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you had to endure that, Rebecca. You are making the right strides for you and your daughter though. She will know you had the strength to show her the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan. Every day is a new day and we can only take it one day at a time. I just hope that my story can help others. I know that I felt like I was alone in all of it and the truth is, no one that is going through domestic violence is ever alone. There are millions of people out there willing to help in any way possible.

    ReplyDelete