Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Let's Talk Tattoos!

Photobucket

Today I'm linking up with Melanie over at 4Kottiez to talk about tattoos! Yes, I have them and yes I love them. I love them because they have a meaning behind them. I'm the type of person that wont just flippantly get a tattoo. I think about it for months. Then, once I decide what I want, I make myself think about it for a minimum of 6 months before doing anything about it. (Usually longer because bills come first.)

ANYWAYS, onward!

I got my first tattoo at 18. It is something that a friend drew for me in High School and I loved it so much I instantly knew that it would at some point in my life be transferred from paper to my skin. It reminds me of her and the friendship that we shared despite the fact that we've grown apart. I also like to think of it as a representation of my Great Grandmother always watching over my shoulder. I still miss her but I know that she's still with me

Sorry for the crappy sideways shot but apparently trying to take a picture of your shoulder by yourself because you forgot about it the night before isn't all that easy.

The guy that did that tattoo actually ended up opening up his own shop and used that as the first page of his main flash book. It was really strange to see someone walking down the street with my (original) tattoo on their wrist.

My next tattoo was my 21st birthday present to myself. A LOT of thought went into this one.

It is seven stars to represent the seven most important and/or influential people in my life at the time (and I can always add to it!). I chose stars because they often represent a guiding light and that accurately represents the message I was trying to portray with the whole important/influential thing. I chose to put it behind my right ear to draw attention to that ear over my left. Why you ask? Studies have shown that when you speak to someone and direct it to their right ear over their left, they are more likely to understand you, comprehend what you're saying, and retain what you've said. I even went so far as doing color research to make sure that each person was properly represented.

Everyone always asks if this hurt. It didn't. It actually almost put me to sleep and I tried to talk the tattoo artist into going over it all again. He wouldn't. I was sad.

I plan on getting more, I'm addicted. I will have two butterflies for reasons that are more personal than anything I'd really like to discuss here and I will also be getting 3 birds to commemorate my first 5K. I'm thinking that if I run more after that I will continue to get one bird for every mile I run. As in, 3 for a 5K, 3 more if I run a 10K etc. They will all be small and discretely placed, but they will be there!  I'll also probably end up with something referencing batman somewhere. I'm a smidgen bit obsessed and have been since I was little but that's a different story for a different day. I also know that I want something music related but haven't decided what yet.

2 comments:

  1. I have 2 as well. First at 18, 2nd at 28, which means I am due :). Planning of a revamp of the first to incorporate the kids. Just haven't quite decided what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! You should blog about them. I really enjoyed this link up. Seeing everyone's ink was fun. Oh, and I'm still waiting on that post about your 5k!

      Delete