Monday, October 1, 2012

A few good reads

Ok, so I don't know about all of you out there in blogger-land, but this girl LOVES to read. Seriously, I don't allow myself into bookstores anymore. The last time I went into one, I went in to buy The Elf on the Shelf for H. About $100 later I ended up leaving with a copy for her, a copy for my brother, 3 books for me and at least 5 more on my to read list. WHO DOES THIS?! Well...me, that's who. So I thought I would compile a short(ish) list of some of my recent reads in no particular order.


I just finished this book and let me tell you, it moved me in a way that not many books can. This book was incredibly inspirational. It is about a woman's journey that crosses not only over 1,100 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), but she also treks an equal amount of emotional miles. It is a tale of self realization, unbridled determination, and the importance and effectiveness of mind over matter. I really don't know what else to say without giving away vital parts of the story, but this book is absolutely amazing and everyone should read it. Everyone. Yes, that means you too. True story.


This book was epic. I loved every second of it. Granted part of that may be because I'm in school for psychology and this books deals a lot with schizophrenia related issues. But it is by no means an educational book. It is an amazing (fictional) read about a guy that is one of the big wigs in the electronics industry when he starts to lose it. He starts experiencing things that make him feel like he's going crazy or maybe like he's developing schizophrenia (even though he's past the right age range for it to manifest) because it runs in his family. His family is ripped apart, he can't remember chunks of his days. Oh I could go on and on about it but I'd give away the whole story. This book will keep you  guessing until the end. I highly recommend it.


 Oh Em Gee!!! These two books had my laughing so hard I thought I was going to piss my pants.
They are about a woman that never wanted to have kids that of course, ends up with one. The little boy is hysterical and, in true 4 year old fashion, pops off with some of the funniest one liners in the book. Her best friend opens up a sex store and gives the main character a chance at going forward with her life long dream These books are so well written, straight to the point, blunt, and hilarious. Reading them made me feel like it was me and my friends because we're all about as crazy as these characters. Amazing reads, MUST READ!


The Sookie Stackhouse novels. And yes, I read them ALL. For those of you who don't know, these are the books that inspired this hit HBO series True Blood. The first book kind of falls in line with the first season for the most part but after that, they are entirely different. I really enjoyed these books. They were well written and drew me in. The first book was kind of hard to get into since I had seen the show and it kind of mirrored it, but once I got past the similarities it was a much easier read. I personally loved them, but they might not be for everyone. Vampires, shifters, werewolves, fairies, witches, the list goes on.


This is a true story. It is the diary of a young girl that was slipped LSD at a party and her subsequent downward spiral into addiction. It was really heart wrenching and I felt so bad for this girl while I was reading it. BUT, since it is the actual diary of a 15 year old, it shows. The grammatical errors killed me, and the first part of the book was mostly her bitching about 14/15 year old problems. I like so and so but he doesn't like me. Woe is me. etc, etc, etc. Overall a good book, but you have to get past all of that. Closer to the end I found myself forgetting that she was only 15 and had to keep reminding myself.


Yup, I read all three of those books in three and a half days. I know the movie is out already so everyone has a good idea what they are about. I loved them. The books were HELLA better than the movie though. Read it. Don't question me, just do it.


This book rocked my socks off. Seriously, off of my feet, down the hall, into the garage, and into the washing machine. And to think, all it took was turning a few hundred pages. Yeah, the movie is okay. People that haven't read the book may even say the movie was great. But having read the book, the movie was lacking in sooooo many ways. Characters weren't fully developed, major scenes (as in pivotal in my mind) were cut or barely touched on, etc. Ugh! The movie was a HUGE let down after having read the book. And that's an understatement.



This book was pretty good but not what I would consider memorable. I think it's part of Opera's book club, but I wasn't blown out of the water. The ending left a lot to be desired, it just kind of stopped and left a lot hanging. It's a coming of age type book. A girl that goes through hell, her mom ends up in a psych hospital, gets out, is a different person. The girl gets raped, goes through hell from that, loses her shit, gains a lot of weight, loses it, stalks a guy, etc. It's a good book, but it just wasn't exactly memorable for me. The one thing that did get me is that a guy wrote it and did a pretty damn good job writing it from the prospective of a girl/woman. He takes you from childhood, through college, through mid-life. 



That's it for now. I'll check back with you in a few weeks with another couple of books if ya'll are interested. If any of you have any books that you think I should read, please share them. I love a good book and I will read anything that is suggested to me. I've got about a month left before school starts up so I think I should be able to read at least another 4-8 books before then. :) Bring on the suggestions!


No comments:

Post a Comment